Got questions about counseling?

We have answers! It’s common to have questions about counseling so we have provided some answers to the most common questions we receive. If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to contact us here or call at 610-889-2089. We’d be happy to help you find the best counselor in our Berwyn office, for your needs.

What should I expect for my first session?

In order to best support you, it’s important to learn about your life and the challenges you are facing. The first session usually entails asking you for a detailed history of your mental health, medical, and relationship concerns, as well as your goals for therapy. By the end of the first session, your therapist will be able to suggest a treatment plan tailored to your needs.

Is everything truly confidential?

Above all, you must be able to trust your therapist. We follow best practices to ensure that your personal information stays private. We never* share information about you without your written permission.

*As mandated reporters, all therapists are legally required to contact the appropriate emergency services if we have reason to believe that a client potentially presents a danger to themselves or others, or if a minor or an elder is being harmed.

If my teen comes to you, will the parent be included in what is going on?

We believe that parental and family involvement is important for the progress of your teen, and encourage participation in the therapy process. However, we also understand the need and right of adolescents to have their own safe space in which their privacy is respected. We protect your child’s privacy the way we do your own but will work with them to talk to you when an issue arises that is important for you to be aware of.

Of course, we will notify you if we believe your child is at risk in any way.

Aren’t all therapists marriage counselors?

Absolutely not! Many therapists see couples and families without having the appropriate training and credentials. Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFTs), work under the supervision of an American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT) approved supervisor for a minimum of 1500 hours before we can become licensed.

If you had couples or family therapy in the past and felt like the therapist sided with one person, or if it seemed like the therapist was doing individual therapy instead of working with the everyone in the room, you probably were not seeing an LMFT.

When interviewing a counselor for couple or family therapy, here are a few important questions to ask:

  • Where did you get your marriage and family therapy training?
  • How many hours of AAMFT-approved supervision did you receive?
  • What percentage of your practice consists of couples and families?

Do you accept my insurance?

We are in-network with several insurances. If you are interested in using insurance, please call to find out if we accept your plan.

Our licensed therapists will be glad to give you receipts or a superbill to submit to your insurance company if you have out-of-network benefits. We can accept health savings account cards for payment.

Where are you located?

We have two locations: 1034 Beaumont Road, Berwyn, PA, 19312 and 43 Leopard Road, Suite 203, Paoli PA 19301. Both offices are conveniently located, just a few minutes from Lancaster Avenue, West Chester Pike, I-476, and the King of Prussia exits of the Schuylkill Expressway and the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

How long are our sessions?

Sessions generally last for 50 minutes. Some people feel like they make more progress with longer sessions. Talk with your therapist if you want to schedule extended time.

How long will I need to be in counseling?

There is no definitive answer to this question. It depends on the complexity of the issues that lead you to seek treatment and whether the problems are situational or ongoing. Some people feel better after just a few session, while others benefit from therapeutic support for months or even years.  You and your therapist periodically will evaluate your progress. We want you to gain the confidence and tools to terminate treatment when you are ready.

Do I need to bring anything to my first session?

You can find the intake paperwork here:

Please bring your driver’s license.

Payment is expected at the time of service. We accept cash, checks, debit and credit cards and HSA cards.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

No Surprises Act Notification


(OMB Control Number: 0938-1401)

When you get emergency care or get treated by an out-of-network provider at an in-network hospital or ambulatory surgical center, you are protected from surprise billing or balance billing.

What is “balance billing” (sometimes called “surprise billing”)?

When you see a doctor or other health care provider, you may owe certain out-of-pocket costs,     such as a copayment, coinsurance, and/or a deductible. You may have other costs or have to pay the entire bill if you see a provider or visit a health care facility that isn’t in your health plan’s network.

“Out-of-network” describes providers and facilities that haven’t signed a contract with your health plan. Out-of-network providers may be permitted to bill you for the difference between what your plan agreed to pay and the full amount charged for a service. This is called “balance billing.” This amount is likely more than in-network costs for the same service and might not count toward your annual out-of-pocket limit.

“Surprise billing” is an unexpected balance bill. This can happen when you can’t control who is involved in your care – like when you have an emergency or when you schedule a visit at an in-network facility but are unexpectedly treated by an out-of-network provider.

You are protected from balance billing for:

Emergency services

If you have an emergency medical condition and get emergency services from an out-of-network provider or facility, the most the provider or facility may bill you is your plan’s in-network cost-sharing amount (such as copayments and coinsurance). You can’t be balance billed for these emergency services. This includes services you may get after you’re in stable condition, unless you give written consent and give up your protections not to be balanced billed for these post-stabilization services.

Certain services at an in-network hospital or ambulatory surgical center

When you get services from an in-network hospital or ambulatory surgical center, certain providers there may be out-of-network. In these cases, the most those providers may bill you is         your plan’s in-network cost-sharing amount. This applies to emergency medicine, anesthesia, pathology, radiology, laboratory, neonatology, assistant surgeon, hospitalist, or intensivist services. These providers can’t balance bill you and may not ask you to give up your protections  not to be balance billed.

If you get other services at these in-network facilities, out-of-network providers can’t balance bill you unless you give written consent and give up your protections.

You’re never required to give up your protection from balance billing. You also aren’t required to get care out-of-network. You can choose a provider or facility in your plan’s network.

When balance billing isn’t allowed, you also have the following protections:

  • You are only responsible for paying your share of the cost (like the copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles that you would pay if the provider or facility was in-network). Your health plan will pay out-of-network providers and facilities directly.
  • Your health plan generally must:
  • Cover emergency services without requiring you to get approval for services in advance (prior authorization).
  • Cover emergency services by out-of-network providers.
  • Base what you owe the provider or facility (cost-sharing) on what it would pay an in-network provider or facility and show that amount in your explanation of benefits.
  • Count any amount you pay for emergency services or out-of-network services toward your deductible and out-of-pocket limit.

If you believe you’ve been wrongly billed, you may contact the Pennsylvania State Insurance Department at or 1-877-881-6388.

Visit for more information about your rights under Federal law.